The New York attorney general filed a lawsuit against President Donald Trump, his charity, and his children Donald Jr., Eric, and Ivanka.
The suit alleges that the Trump Foundation followed “a pattern of persistent illegal conduct” for more than a decade.
Trump responded to the suit on Twitter, blasting “sleazy New York Democrats and their now disgraced (and run out of town) A.G. Eric Schneiderman.
New York Attorney General Barbara Underwood on Thursday filed a lawsuit against President Donald Trump, his charity, and his children Donald Jr., Eric, and Ivanka, alleging that the Trump Foundation followed “a pattern of persistent illegal conduct” for more than a decade.
The lawsuit claims that the charity engaged in illegal political coordination with Trump’s campaign, made multiple self-dealing transactions to benefit Trump personally and his business interests, and violated legal obligations for such nonprofits in New York.
Underwood is seeking $2.8 million in restitution plus additional penalties, as well as the dissolving of the Trump Foundation under court supervision. The suit seeks to bar Trump from running a New York non-profit for the next decade, while instituting a one-year ban for Donald Jr., Ivanka, and Eric. Underwood also sent referral letters to the Internal Revenue Service and Federal Election Commission identifying possible violations of federal law for the departments to investigate.
Trump has already paid more than $330,000 in reimbursements and penalty taxes, Underwood said in the suit.
“As our investigation reveals, the Trump Foundation was little more than a checkbook for payments from Mr. Trump or his businesses to nonprofits, regardless of their purpose or legality,” Underwood said in a statement. “This is not how private foundations should function and my office intends to hold the Foundation and its directors accountable for its misuse of charitable assets.”
Trump responded to the lawsuit less than an hour after it was made public, blasting “sleazy New York Democrats and their now disgraced (and run out of town) A.G. Eric Schneiderman.”
Schneiderman, Underwood’s predecessor who started the investigation, resigned last month after allegations of abusing multiple women were made public.
Trump tweeted that Democrats “are doing everything they can to sue me on a foundation that took in $18,800,000 and gave out to charity more money than it took in, $19,200,000.”
“I won’t settle this case!” he said.
The Trump Foundation also attacked the attorney general’s office and said it was playing “politics at its very worst.” As evidence, the foundation cited the lawsuit’s public release on the same day as the release of the Department of Justice inspector general’s report on the Hillary Clinton email investigation.
“This is unconscionable — particularly because the Foundation previously announced its intention to dissolve more than a year and a half ago,” a spokesperson for the foundation said in a statement obtained by Business Insider.
The statement went on: “The prior NYAG, who was recently forced to resign from office in disgrace, made it his stated mission to use this matter to not only advance his own political goals, but …read more
Source:: Business Insider – Politics